This tutorial show the steps to install Rockbox to a Ipod Nano (1st Generation)
Note: Your Ipod Nano should show up in your computer as a disk drive when you connect it via USB, otherwise you have to troubleshoot that before you begin.
- Connect the Ipod Nano in switched off state directly to the computer using USB (not via dock).
- Switch on the Ipod Nano. Ipod Nano drive should show up in My Computer or Windows Explorer.
- Download "Fat32 Format" GUI from here.
- Run "Fat32 Format".
- Select the drive of Ipod Nano. Leave "Allocation unit size" to its default value. Type a name under "Volume label". I used the name "IPODNANO". Leave "Quick Format" checked.
- Click Start button.
- You should now get a nicely formatted Ipod Nano, with nothing in it.
- Download Rockbox installation files from here.
- Unzip the files to the root of Ipod Nano. Do not create any folders and unzip the files to it.
- Download Ipod Patcher here.
- Run ipodpatcher.exe
- Enter "i" and press "Enter".
- After it shows the message "[INFO] Bootloader installed successfully." Press ENTER again to exit ipodpatcher.
- Close all open Ipod Nano folders.
- Eject Ipod Nano using "Safely Remove Hardware" from the Windows taskbar.
- Unplug the USB cable from the computer.